Living an involuntary hermit's life. Working towards living a healthier, gluten-free, hopefully cancer free life with my 2 dogs, 3 chickens and loving family.



Living with intention

When stumbling through life isn't good enough anymore..... decide to be yourself and enjoy life, and pay attention to Gods gifts all around.

Monday, March 15, 2010

St. Patty's cooking




Yesterday I made Butter Cookies in the shape of shamrocks. Green to boot! I tried a new recipe that is a butter cookie not a sugar cookie but you can decorate them like sugar. I enjoyed the taste better. The difference is less sugar, more butter and no leavening. Here is the recipe.



  • 3 1/2 Cup Flour

  • 3/4 teaspoon salt......Sift these together and set aside

  • 3 1/2 sticks of Butter (softened)......Beat up butter until light and fluffy

  • 1 1/4 sugar

  • 2 eggs.....add sugar, then eggs one at a time Mix on Med-high

  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla

  • 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon....Add to batter

Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour. When mixed turn out on floured board and cut into 4ths and wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 2 1/2 hrs. Roll out using powdered sugar on the board instead of flour. Bake at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes.


Today I made Corned Beef and Cabbage. I know I am 2 days early but it seems something always comes up on Wednesdays and I wanted to make sure we had it since we missed it last year because I was too ill. I must say I make the best corned beef and cabbage. This is what I do.


  • 1 head of cabbage....Cut into quarters and cored

  • 1 1/2 cup carrots either baby or cut into large chunks

  • 3 or 4 boiling onions cut in half

  • 1 corned beef brisket

  • 6 small red potatoes

In a crock pot put cabbage first on bottom (this is important since no liquid is added). Then fit carrots in tight between cabbage and some on top. Then the onions. If potatoes will fit, great, if not cook them separate when the rest is finished. On top of vegetables put the corned beef and then add the seasoning packet included in brisket. Put lid on and set crock pot. I do mine on low for 8 hrs. 1/2 hr before done mix 1/3 cup brown sugar with 2 tablespoons yellow mustard and spread on top of brisket. put lid back on. start cooking potatoes if not in pot. When done take Brisket out and let stand for 15 Min's before slicing. Yum Yum! The picture below was before I put the brown sugar/mustard on.

No comments: