Living an involuntary hermit's life. Working towards living a healthier, gluten-free, hopefully cancer free life with my 2 dogs, 3 chickens and loving family.



Living with intention

When stumbling through life isn't good enough anymore..... decide to be yourself and enjoy life, and pay attention to Gods gifts all around.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Isn't It Shocking

When I was working full time and couldn't sleep, I would almost panic because when working with special needs kiddo's, you need to be light on your feet.
Now, when waking up at 12:30 and mind is racing, I am learning to just get up and go with it.  It is not as if I then sleep in.  I don't.  But if I am a little rummy during the day, the only one's it hurts is my family putting up with my bad mood.

Last night I woke up and found myself thinking about an old TV movie called Isn't It Shocking.  Talk about random:)

When I was about 10 yrs old, Hollywood came to the small town of Mt. Angel and also filmed at houses out in the country in a community called North Howell where I grew up.  I remember my brother and I riding our bikes about a mile to a neighbors house, an old Victorian home.  We hung out there watching the stars going in and out of the house.  We watched them film a couple scenes.  I remember being about 4 ft from the star Alan Alda while he was talking to the director.  Being country kids that lived a less than exciting life, this is a memory that seems like yesterday.

I remember how exciting it was to watch the movie on TV.  Back then there was no dvr's or vcr's, so watching it was a one shot deal and an event! 

So around 1:00 am this morning, I decided to look in up on this new fangled thing called the Internet:)  I was thinking maybe it was available to buy, so I did a search "isn't it shocking"  and what did I find?  The whole movie on You Tube.  Who knew?  Oh you did.  Well this 20th Century girl had no idea something as obscure as a 1973 TV movie would be on You Tube.

I watched the whole movie.  It was so much fun to see Mt. Angel City Hall, which hasn't changed a bit.  The Theater, streets I recognized and both houses that are still in North Howell.  The movie is definitely dated, and has the typical corny background sound effects you would expect from a 1973 movie.  So most people would probably not find it so entertaining.  I loved it. 

I finally got back to sleep around 3:30 and am now ready for the day.  But just for a couple hours last night, I was 10 yrs old again..............Wonderful!

BTW, Guess what was the number one song of 1973.................You got it!  Tony Orlando & Dawn's  Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree:)

No comments: