Living an involuntary hermit's life. Working towards living a healthier, gluten-free, hopefully cancer free life with my 2 dogs, 3 chickens and loving family.



Living with intention

When stumbling through life isn't good enough anymore..... decide to be yourself and enjoy life, and pay attention to Gods gifts all around.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Ode To Beau

While on the Internet today, the list of the top most smartest dogs popped up.  Shetland Sheepdog was number 6.  I think it should have been higher but oh well.  I have always been an animal lover, but while raising kids, the pets were theirs and I didn't have time to bond with an animal.  Well there were the two potbelly pigs, but that's a different story. 

I was lucky enough a couple years ago to adopt a dog named Yoda.  I kept messing up the name, so I renamed him Beau. 

Isn't he cute!
The star of the pet parade
Beau greeting me after I was in the hospital for 8 days.
Beau is my dog.  He has bonded in his own way with the rest of the family, but he takes care of me.  When I am home, he is rarely more that 5 ft from me.  He loves going to bed.  Come 8:00 or so in the evening, he is watching me for any sign I am going to bed.  As soon as I am heading to bed, he runs and shimmies his fat little body under the bed.  LL and Kane jokes that he has a barka-lounger (pun intended) under the bed and has his own bachelor pad under there.  They also say he probably just barely lights up a cig or bong and laying back before I get up and run to the bathroom.  Seconds later, Beau is coming out from underneath, begrudgingly, and stands outside the bathroom to support me in my hour of need, so to speak.

When it comes to everyone else in the world, Beau's personality is like Joe Pesci's roles in movies.  Beau has what you might call small man syndrome.  Sorry to anyone that might offend.  He is all a toughy when it comes to dogs walking by our house, or on the other side of our backyard fence.  But he will turn tail and run if there is no protection in front of him.  To me, he is sweet and protective.  He always knows where I am at and looks hurt if I go somewhere without him.  Whether a walk or in the car.  His favorite place to visit is my mom's.  I don't know how, but he can tell if we drive by her place.  He gets very upset.
He likes to fish
Bailey probably thought I wouldn't take a picture of her for her graduation unless Beau was in the picture
She may have had reason to worry.
Gussied up for the parade.
Beau and his life partner, Rufus, AKA Chicken Hawk
I look forward to him laying like this.  He is not snugly but when he lays like this, he lets me snuggle like he is a teddy bear.  When going through Chemo, he let me snuggle a lot.

So he maybe number 6 on the list of intelligence, but he is my number one dog.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you have almost converted me to being a dog person instead of just a cat person! He looks so sweet - and yes, animals are so intuitive to our needs. When my non cat-loving hubby was laid up for months after his near fatal back-surgery-gone-wrong ordeal, he really appreciated having a little furry companion laying on the bed all the time keeping him company

Cate :-)

Poppy Q said...

Hi Konnie, I have just found your blog and your sweet post on your boy Beau.

Sadly, I too have a cat blog, and Poppy Q is my cat around the house.

Julie Q

Anonymous said...

Konnie, of Course Beau Loves You! You are easy to Love.... Karen

angela said...

Animals always know! I am not a cat or dog person, I love them both equally.
How can you choose between your children, Honestly.