Living an involuntary hermit's life. Working towards living a healthier, gluten-free, hopefully cancer free life with my 2 dogs, 3 chickens and loving family.



Living with intention

When stumbling through life isn't good enough anymore..... decide to be yourself and enjoy life, and pay attention to Gods gifts all around.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thinking About Dad

Today is the seventh anniversary of my father's passing.  I remember shortly after his death, I asked my friend who lost her dad if it gets easier.  She said at the time NO.  I would have to agree for the most part.  Oh most of the time, I can think of him and not cry anymore.  But there are days I do cry.  I can say my reaction to the loss of him has gotten "easier".  But the missing him has not let up at all.

I had a very close relationship with my dad.  A testament of how great he was is that all his children were close to him.  I was his baby, his "Caboose".  I never outgrew loving the hugs, the jokes, the joy of being his little girl.

This morning, I, along with my mom, Bailey, siblings, and nephew, went to Mass.  It is such a comforting thing to do, and fitting to have a Mass said for him.  He loved his faith and practiced it well.  We then went to breakfast together, and much thanks to my nephew Brendon, who treated us. 

After that, my sis Kris came to my house to cut and color my hair.  So a lot has happened this morning and it is not even 10:30.  I plan to meet Mom and Kris at the cemetery to put flowers on his grave.  Another tradition.  I think traditions like Mass, visiting cemetery, are a great tribute to him, but really they are to comfort those of us left behind.  And after going to church and spending time with my family, who I love dearly, I am comforted and can continue on with my day less sad and more at peace.  That's what he would want anyway. 

I hope I can make my photography class tonight.  I have so many questions to ask.  It has been a blessing to be able to play around a bit with the camera before taking the class.  I now know, what I don't know.  I will just learn more basics tonight, but look forward to taking more classes to learn how to create art with the camera.

Have a blessed day, and if you still have a dad to hug, give him an extra squeeze for me:)

1 comment:

christyd said...

I lost my mom over 19 years ago, and it still hurts. I miss her every day too. I'm sending you love and prayers today.

I can't wait to hear about your photography class!