Living an involuntary hermit's life. Working towards living a healthier, gluten-free, hopefully cancer free life with my 2 dogs, 3 chickens and loving family.



Living with intention

When stumbling through life isn't good enough anymore..... decide to be yourself and enjoy life, and pay attention to Gods gifts all around.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

BROWN PAPER Packages Tied Up With String

When looking back on this year, I have fallen short on many of my goals to live more green and sustainable.  But since my main goal was improvement, I feel satisfied, when comparing last year to this year.  I have done OK with the Christmas preparations, but must admit, I have not bought local goods as much as I should.  One of my goals was not to buy any wrapping paper.  So far, I have succeeded.  A couple weeks ago, I did spend money on some nice reusable sturdy boxes that I hope to get many years of use out of.  A few gifts are wrapped with wrapping paper, but it was left over from last year.  Years ago, when LL and I had little money, I wrapped presents with brown bags that the kids painted.  I have many paper grocery sacks, so I decided to get creative.  When talking to LL about my ideas, he says "Oh you have been looking at magazines again."  I for the life of me, don't know why he thinks I can't come of with these ideas myself. 

So I go outside with the clippers and get some greenery.  Let them dry on a towel.  I go into the garage and get the green and white nylon twine that's all tangled and balled up.  I grab a stack of brown paper sacks, and a wrappen I a went. 

Now, in the past, I have reused sacks as wrapping, but must say the creases and wrinkles always leave the results disappointing.  So I take the sacks and wad them up so that the wrinkles look intentional.  And NO LL.  I did not get the idea from a magazine.  See he doesn't know everything.  No, I got the idea from a earth friendly web site:)  The pink ribbon was bundling up one gift I bought, so I put the ribbon on the outside of that gift.  Instead of buying one of those paper, use once wine sacks, I bought a burlap wine tote at World Market that was only $1.99 that can hold several bottles and be reused over and over.  Our local grocery sacks for the holiday has a cute little gingerbread man on it.  So I cut one gingerbread man and have him peeking out from the sack and looking around the branch.  I decorated the gifts with twine, branches and old Christmas balls.


Besides the reusable boxes and brown sacks, I have been using fabric remnants as you would tissue inside boxes, or as the wrapping paper itself. 

So, with the exception of tape and a few bows, I am succeeding with my earth friendly, green gift wrapping goal.  And it feels good:)

1 comment:

dreamer said...

They all look fantastic, I really love the gingerbred man one,so cute.
Wish our grocery stores did brown bags all we get is yucky plastic carriers which I am trying to avoid.