Living an involuntary hermit's life. Working towards living a healthier, gluten-free, hopefully cancer free life with my 2 dogs, 3 chickens and loving family.



Living with intention

When stumbling through life isn't good enough anymore..... decide to be yourself and enjoy life, and pay attention to Gods gifts all around.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

When cooking for myself, I am still at the learning stage of how to eat with my remodeled digestion. I am trying to mainly eat just one meal a day. So that meal needs to be filling, low fiber but as healthy as possible. Here is what I made today for lunch.

Blackened salmon, basmati rice with onions and
golden raisens, green beans, and cocktail sauce

I had very ripe bananas so I made banana bread. This really is one of the best recipes I have ever used. I did not put nuts in this time but usually do. Here is the recipe I got from a friend, Jeanette Bashaw.


Banana Bread

2/3 C. Sugar
1/3 C. Shortening
2 eggs, beaten
3 T. Buttermilk (I have used reg. milk and turns out fine)
1 C. mashed Bananas (I just use two or three bananas)
1 tsp. Banana extract
2 C. Flour
1 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 C. chopped Nuts (optional)
Mix together sugar, shortening and eggs well until creamed. Stir in buttermilk, bananas, and extract. Mix flour, baking powder, soda, and salt together. Gradually stir into banana mixture. Fold in nuts. Pour into well greased loaf pan. Let stand 20 minutes before baking. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.



This evening I took leftovers from dinner I made for hubby and packed his and my lunch tomorrow. Not really bento standards but I did have fun making his look nice. Mine was hard to make look nice because I can't eat raw veggies.

Barbequed pork ribs, basmati rice with onions
and golden raisens, and green beans.

Carrots, english cucumbers, red peppers and
ranch dressing in a cute flower I found in the
easter decoration section:)

My lunch had a pork rib, basmati rice and
cooked carrots. Not as pretty but I do like
the container.

1 comment:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

It all looks really good and very healthy! Thanks for the recipe. I make a similar one but I don't use the extract.

Manuela