Living an involuntary hermit's life. Working towards living a healthier, gluten-free, hopefully cancer free life with my 2 dogs, 3 chickens and loving family.



Living with intention

When stumbling through life isn't good enough anymore..... decide to be yourself and enjoy life, and pay attention to Gods gifts all around.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Spareribs Sauce

Have you ever had a taste memory.  You know what I am talking about.  A taste that brings you back to a time in your childhood.

When I was a kid, my mom and dad would take us, very rarely, to a Chinese restaurant in Woodburn that has been long since out of business.  I would order a Shirley Temple and have sweet and sour spareribs.  The sauce was different then what they would use on their pork or chicken.  It was so good.  LL also grew up occasionally eating these ribs and love them too.

Well for a while now, I have been trying to duplicate the sauce.  I think I have finally come close.  I did not put it on spareribs but put it on country pork ribs and LL is still thinking I am terrific!!  And it was so simple.  Here is what I did.

I slow cooked the country pork ribs in the slow cooker.  About a half hour before it was done.  I drained the juice and grease and then added this sauce.

1/4 C Brown sugar
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
1/8 to 1/4 cup Ketchup
1 or 2 cloves garlic grated.
1 teaspoon corn starch

Actually, because Kane was over for dinner, I doubled it. 

Pour over the ribs.  Let it finish cooking.  and enjoy.

This sauce has more of a bite then traditional sweet and sour and that's what we loved about it as kids.

Now I am just missing the Shirley Temple.

No comments: